Thrifty Gothic Die-ning Set

0

So I managed to win a dining set on one of our local Β bidding sites. Only $10 -and I now have 6 chairs and a dining table that can seat up to 8! There’s even a hidden expansion tucked into the middle of the table top.

The one thing I have been lacking is a beautiful dining set for entertaining my family & friends, so I had high hopes for this thrifty find.

 

While I do admire the general “American Psycho” 80’s aesthetic…It wasn’t really what I had in mind.

So of course, I planned a classy furniture renovation.

I gathered up my supplies:
-leftover damask fabric. This is a taffeta, but I would recommend outdoor or heavy duty fabric if possible.
-glossy black furniture paint
-good quality paint brush
-staple gun and staples. I have an electric staple gun but a handheld one will work just as well.
-sandpaper

I then disassembled the cushion-covered seat from the chair frame.20161102_145633
The fabric only needs to be cut to roughly the same shape as the seat, with an additional 2-3 inches on each side. Keeping the seat roughly in the middle of the fabric, I stapled the bottom row first, then moving to the opposite side and pulling the fabric tightly across before stapling that down as well.

20161102_150809

Once the fabric is pulled and stapled on all sides, it looks a little something like this:

20161102_150802

So I moved on to phase 2: Painting the chair black.

There’s no special trick to painting the chair black, although I would recommend using a quality paintbrush! It is going to need a couple coats, so don’t panic if the first coat has the chair looking like a prop from Evil Dead. (Unless you are totally into that look!)

20161102_152110.jpg

After a couple of coats of paint and A LOT of patience, the chair came out looking… Like a chair! Slightly more classy… A little more creepy… and SO MUCH BETTER than it had originally. Just don’t forget to reattach the chair pad to the chair frame.

I lightly sanded down the tabletop just to smooth out any imperfections and applied a couple coats of glossy paint. Also in the timeframe it took to complete this project, I did repaint my dining room/ living room to a gloriously gloomy purple.

Not too bad for a thrifty overhaul!

(Although, I would recommend using a chalk paint for better coverage. I ended up having to use 5 coats of Rustoleum gloss paint, and some chairs still have some patchy spots)

IMG_20170613_142051_768.jpg

A table setting fit for any ghoul. ❀

Stay creepy!

-B

Advertisements